History of Katokopia
The first written mention of Katokopia dates back to the 31st of August 1318 in a manuscript by the monks of Asinou. Other mentions followed in books and old maps. It can be found in the catalogue of Cyprus villages during the Franks and the Venicians periods in
Cyprus. Also according to R. Gunnis (Historic Cyprus, Nicosia 1936), the church of Katokopia, which was dedicated to Virgin Mary -
There are several versions of how Katokopia took its' name. The one considered more valid, says that due to the rough landscape it was named at the beginning "kakos topos" (rough place). Due to the hard work of the people of this village, and their motivation for development they managed to make Katokopia a small paradise.
Katokopia managed to maintain an evolving passage through time which led to the 20th century and the fast development after the 1950's. Due to the ability to take advantage of the natural water reservoirs, the village grew to be a large agricultural centre for the area. The population was around 2000 in 1974 when the Turks struck. Two young men from Katokopia were killed during the invasion and two are still missing in action.
In a few hours the work of generations gave place to destruction. The village is controlled by the invadors but part of the land of the people of Katokopia lies in the buffer zone. The love of the people for their land drew them to continue to work with it without fearing for their lives. Today more than a third of the village's land is saved because of these efforts.